Sunday, March 27, 2011

Journal 7 - "My Personal Learning Network" NETS-T 3, 5

So far my personal learning network (PLN) is comprised of Twitter and Diigo. Both of these avenues provide very different ways to collaborate with other teacher professionals. Twitter is full of fast ideas with a lot of back and forth real time collaborating while Diigo resources are bookmarked webpages that are grouped together by a particular theme. Both websites would help me in the classroom by providing a broad range of new resources outside of what the school district provides. Teachers around the world all teacher differently and those fresh ideas can be brought into lesson plans and the way you teach.

Within Twitter I am have included educators from different facets of education as well as news resources. I tried to fine people in Twitter that would provide me a wide range of educational resources as well as resources that might be considered outside of the box. I may not be teaching special education but it cannot hurt to follow tweets focused on special education. I also chose to follow some news outlets like NPR and Anderson Cooper because of the real time news updates that they give. I feel it is important to be up to date about what is going on in the world and you can also tie those real world issues in with classroom lessons. I joined a Twitter a #blogchat discussion on March 27, 2011 at 6pm. I found the discussion about your favorite way to blog and why difficult to keep up with the discussion and to separate out those that were participating in the discussion and those that just happen to be using that hash tag.

I found that I had to search around a bit more to find PLN resources in Diigo. The people that I added to my network were other teaching professionals that already had a lot of resources bookmarked and a good amount of people following them. Some of the resources I added to my PLN were classroom 2.0, cool tools for educators and webheads. I also tagged Could Video Games Fight Childhood Obesity?, STOP cyberbullying: Cyberbullying - what it is, how it works and how to understand and deal with cyberbullies and EdChange Multicultural Awareness Quiz as PLN

I joined the educators PLN and watched a video called educations.com - Problem Based Learning at Stenden University. This video laid out a 7 step approach to Problem Based Learning (PBL). In PBLs, students read a text and work in a group to analyze a problem and find a solution. The best part of this is the structure of the 7 steps and the teacher is no longer a teacher, they are a tutor.

No comments:

Post a Comment